Welcome to Lusaka, capital city of Zambia!
I just got back from a whirlwind week in Zambia. (April 4 -10) It was an amazing time - a good balance between hanging out with my good friends, Steve, Jamo and their 3 kids from Guelph and seeing some of Lusaka and area. This post will have some pics of street scenes in Lusaka. Most are taken from the car window - a bit challenging when you're moving along at 60 - 100 kph. (For as many that were in focus there were probably twice that number out of focus.) (I've no clue why this turned out double spaced with messed up formatting. It is not that way at the composing level and all my attempts to align things make it worse - sorry.)
Billboards and signs are prolific. The main industries represented on these billboards are cell phones and banks. Every bank ad reassures the reader how they really care for you and will listen - no matter who you are....! The war on cell phones is amazing! It is such a huge industry. Besides billboards, there are stalls along the side of the road as well as guys walking up and down at the traffic lights selling airtime! Apparently the vendors earn 5% on the sales. A tough way to make a living. (My favourite thing that was being sold at a red light was jeans! Think of all the time you'd save without having to try on 20 pairs to find one you like.....)
![]() | |
Success! A sale! Let's move off
the road to complete it!
This is the edge of a huge complex that is being built - offices, mall, hotel and more. The roads around it are a mess - but while you're waiting in traffic - rest assured - you can always top up the minutes on your cell.
Being the capital city, Lusaka is home to many and diverse groups. Driving along the roads, I saw Diplomatic Offices from many countries. There are lots of Christian and other international aid organizations and NGO's such as UNICEF as well as church headquarters. National government offices are in the mix as well. This building is the Supreme Court.
The area that I was staying in was very nice. Here's a view up one of the residential streets.
Not too far away in distance but light years apart in atmosphere is Kalingalinga Street. This major street is full of shops, many of which are also outdoor workshops. Along this road you can find almost anything from braais (bbq's) to clothing to gates being welded to beauty "saloons" to car repair places and of course .... shops selling airtime! They also have some late night bars - with late night being around 5 am closing!!! (I know this 'cuz we saw the remnants leaving on our way to catch my early morning flight.)
![]() |
![]() |
![]() |
| Omo is laundry soap - this wall is hand painted!! |
![]() |
| One of these things is not like the others.... |
Getting around town...
For those without a vehicle the main way to get around town is by taxi. Taxis here (and in Eshowe) are vans that hold more people than seats usually. There are taxi stands along the roadways and at various strategic locations. There is always a way to get more people or bags of veggies or maize meal etc. into the cab - or even on the roof (well - not the people...) The crowded vans (think 30+ degrees, stuffy, hot, smelly....), plus the "stuff" everywhere, plus the crazy driving makes for an experience I will gladly pass by.
![]() |
![]() | ||||
| This pic makes them look not too bad. I've seen much worse. |

Bicycles are also used - often with a full load!
Notice the power box on the left!

In certain areas of the city there are fruit
and veggie stands (plus airtime)
- both large and small.
(? I think it's casava.)

And the last image I wish to leave you with is one of a petrol (gas) station -- don't complain that the price of gas is high!! Look at it here!! 8647 Kwachas per litre!! (Roughly converted it is about Cdn $1.75 per litre) But 8 thousand just looks pretty bad to me!!
Thanks again for stopping by and sharing in some of my adventures!
Comments and especially emails bring a smile to my heart! 











you sure are getting around and from the looks of it having a great time.
ReplyDeleteFYI gas went up to $1.32 a litre yesterday
Later
Dad
Every time I go to a quilting event or meeting lately, someone asks me if I've seen your blog.
ReplyDeleteIt's great keeping up with you and seeing your wonderful pictures. Lisa
Hmm Petrol here is 1.38GBP thats like $2.59 CAN... what a bargin... we loved Casava fried in Indonesia, and I think they make some sort of wine with it too, as for the 7-11 did you get a Slurpee? Missing you.
ReplyDeleteMitch
Hi Cheryl,
ReplyDeleteGreat reading your blog again. It looks nice and sunny and warm in the pictures...we had snow today and -3 !
be well, love Joy Schuurman
So are you also doing the marathon worship all weekend? I once went to a Greek Orthodox service on Good Friday, and I think they also did the all-night, all-Holy Saturday, and all-night again vigils too.
ReplyDeleteWhen the kids were small, I used to do all kinds of church-year related stuff, and tried to make Easter weekend an even bigger event than Christmas (that really never worked, because the rest of the world was making such a big deal in December), but it was sure a lot more than I'm doing these days!
Lauren and Eva are flying to Japan on Tuesday to visit with Ariel for 10 days--that's a pretty big deal! I was just reading her Japan blog and she has some lovely photos of cherry blossoms--they just had the annual event where everyone goes out to picnic for the day with friends & family under the cherry trees, gazing up at the blossoms and eating good food, chatting, etc. Sounds like a great cultural import! (Here's the address in case you're interested: http://windswept-spirit.blogspot.com/ Good to read of your adventures!